Once again, the holiday season is upon us! But before we get lost in the never-ending hustle and bustle, let’s take a few minutes to make sure that we are buying appropriate toys for the children in our lives! We at Northshore Health Centers along with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission want to urge gift givers to keep safety in mind when making these purchases.
Here are a few Toy Safety Tips to keep the holiday season merry and bright!
1) Read the label. Lots of toys have warning labels that give important information about how to use a toy and the ages that they toy is safe for.
2) Think Big! Make sure that all toys and parts are bigger than the child’s mouth to prevent choking.
3) Avoid play sets with small magnets for younger children. Make sure batteries are secured within the toy. If children swallow magnets or batteries, serious injuries or death can occur.
4) For all children under age 8, avoid toys that have sharp edges and points.
5) Avoid toys with toxic materials that could cause poisoning. Make sure that the label says “nontoxic”.
6) Look for stuffed toys that are well made. Make sure that it is machine washable and that all parts are on tight. Take off any loose ribbons or strings to avoid strangulation. Avoid stuffed animals that have small bean-like pellets or stuffing that can cause choking if swallowed.
7) Since toddlers seem to enjoy the packaging just as much as the toy, be sure to throw out all plastic wrapping on toys right away.
8) Check for toy recalls.
Have a safe and happy holidays from all of us here at NorthShore Health Centers. If you need to have your children’s well-child check down by the end of year, schedule an appointment online today.